Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Shanghai MoCA Envisage II - Butterfly Dream

Here's curator Victoria Lu at the opening of her show at Shanghai MoCA. I love Victoria, especially since she's hosted my stay in Shanghai at the very luxe hotel, Le Royal Meridien. But, I have to say, I can't really figure out why she likes the art she likes. The show was packed with young Chinese and Taiwanese artist, many devoted to a cartoon-style that she calls "animamix" but looks like knock-off Murakamis. I wish I could be more enthusiastic.
This is Huang Zhiyang, one of Meg Maggio's Taiwan artists included in the show with his golden dragon, made of bronze and gold gilt.
I ran into world class curator Hou Hanru at the opening. He's now in San Francisco, but was the guy who single-handedly invented the Shanghai Biennial back in 2000. I asked him what he thought of the show and he said, "No comment." Then I asked him what he thought of the biennial and he said, "What can I say? No comment, no comment."

No comments: