Friday, September 5, 2008

Art Beijing



Art Beijing is hosting my trip so I should be appreciative. But I never saw so much hotel art in one location. Well, that's China. They have to do everything bigger and bigger than anywhere else. Note: I didn't say bigger and better. It was a great place to catch up with friends including James Elaine, curator from the Hammer who is living here now and Beijing dealer Meg Maggio with Colin Chinnery, ex-curator from the Ullens Center who has become a buddy. Meg was raving about a new artist from India in the next booth, which wasn't really what a dealer should be doing at her own spot at a fair. Colin and I got out of there fairly quick and went off to Ai Weiwei's restaurant nearby. Big mistake: though it was clearly a post-fair hang-out, where I saw lots more familiar faces, the food was inedible. Someone should tell him.

No comments: