Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Time Sure Flies

I didn't realize how much time has passed since my last posting. But, it is a sign of how depressed everything has been over the past two months, that I have not been inspired to write. Overnight, the art world ground to a halt and the art magazines stopped returning emails. I've been at a loss to think of things to write about, since most of the shows I've been seeing have either been about apocalyptic disasters or seem woefully out of step with the times.

One bright spot--Elizabeth Dee's X Initiative--she'll be installing shows at Dia's old space on W. 22nd Street all year. But the real aim is to stimulate discussions about where to go, what to do, how to think about all that's happening right now. What is to be done? That question seems more on the money (excuse the expression since there is no money) than any of the pictures, paintings, sculptures, videos and installations on exhibition in Chelsea these days.

Holland Cotter wrote a column, "Long Live Art," this Sunday, basically saying that the best art occurs in a down market. It was uplifting, but a little rose-colored for me. I wish this will be the case, but right now things are a little scary. Let's see what happens.

No comments: